A new Makita 18V Brushless Compact One Handed Recipro Saw XRJ08Z has been announced recently. Let’s check it out.
Disclosure: This is not a review, this is tool news. Tool Craze cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information/specifications/features of any tool listed in this article. Manufacturer marketing claims may not always meet expectations. Tool Craze is not responsible if products do not live up to claimed expectations. Please do your full research before buying any products. Tool Craze is an Amazon Associate. Also an affiliate with the Home Depot, Acme Tools, Ohio Power Tool, Tool Nut. As well as an affiliate with Lowe’s, Ebay, and Walmart and places affiliate links to these retailers. If you purchase through a link on the Tool Craze site, Tool Craze may get a share of the sale.
Makita 18V Brushless Compact One Handed Recipro Saw XRJ08Z – Features
Makita’s latest 18V one handed recipro saw appears to be their best compact model to date. At least on paper in terms of specs. It has a slightly larger stroke length at 7/8″ and a bit more SPM at 0-3,100 than their XRJ07 sub-compact model. Though a bit longer at a still compact 14-3/8″ length. It weighs 5.5 lbs with battery although a battery is not included so BYOB (bring your own battery).
The design changes quite a bit on this model. For example, unlike the rotary hammer style design on the XRJ07 model, this new model has a design more akin to a Hackzall but with a finger guard. Makita calls it a handle loop and says this helps with cutting efficiency by giving the tool added rigidity.
As shown above, I like that Makita put some good features into their tool. It has a pivoting shoe for better placement when cutting. Also the blade holder has a tab that makes it easier to rotate to change blades. I would have preferred a blade release lever on the body of the tool but this solution is better than what you’d find on a Milwaukee hackzall as those don’t have that tab and is harder to rotate in such a cramped space behind the shoe.
Other features include a design with 40% lower vibration when compared with the XRJ07ZB model. This is thanks to a counterweight mechanism. A built in LED light helps with low light. It also has a feature called constant feed control to minimize slowing down when the going gets tough.
Makita 18V Brushless Compact One Handed Recipro Saw XRJ08Z – Runtime
How much work can it get done on one battery? Makita says that this reciprocating saw can get up to 90 cuts in 2×10 lumber and up to 50 cuts in 1″ schedule 80 steel pipe. That’s how much you can roughly expect to cut with a 5.0 ah battery according to Makita. No doubt thanks to its brushless motor.
Makita 18V Brushless Compact One Handed Recipro Saw XRJ08Z – Availability & Pricing
This new cordless recipro saw is said to be available in December 2022. It’s already available for pre-order at the time of writing. It is currently sold as a baretool for about $169.
Manufacturer Bullet List
- 0 – 3,100 strokes per minute combined with a 7/8” stroke length for faster and more efficient cutting
- Up to 55% faster cutting*
- Low vibration design; up to 40% less vibration**
- One-handed grip is positioned to firmly transmit force to the workpiece while using tool with one hand
- Loop-shaped handle guard provides tool rigidity for improved cutting efficiency
- Equipped with counterweight mechanism to achieve low vibration when cutting
- Spring assisted keyless blade ejection allows for one-handed blade removal eliminating the need to touch hot blades
- Compact and ergonomic design at 14-3/8” long
- Weighs only 5.5 lbs. with battery for reduced operator fatigue (battery not included)
- Constant speed control minimizes reduction in cutting speed under load
- Up to 90 cuts in 2×10 lumber with 5.0Ah battery (battery not included)
- Up to 50 cuts in 1″ schedule 80 steel pipe with 5.0Ah battery (battery not included)
- Variable speed trigger for a variety of cutting applications
- “Tool-less” blade change system allows for faster blade installation
- Built-in L.E.D. light illuminates the work area
- Pivoting shoe plate provides consistent contact with material allowing for a smoother cut
- Lock-off switch helps prevent accidental starts
Tool Craze does not sell this product or any product on the Tool Craze website. Also Tool Craze does not handle the sale of any item in any way. Tool Craze is an Acme Tools affiliate and an Amazon Associate. And places affiliate links including those from other retailers Tool Craze is an affiliate partner with. If you purchase through a link on the Tool Craze site; Tool Craze may get a share of the sale. Please refer to the About section for more info. Tool Craze cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information/specifications/features of any tool listed in this article. Please do your full research before buying any products.
Leave a Comment