Makita has announced a new battery powered cooler, the Makita 18V X2 AC Cooler & Warmer DCW180Z. Not only is it able to actively cool its contents but it can also keep them warm as well.
Disclosure: This is not a review, this is tool news. Tool Craze cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information/specifications/features of any tool listed in this article. Manufacturer marketing claims may not always meet expectations. Tool Craze is not responsible if products do not live up to claimed expectations. Please do your full research before buying any products. Tool Craze is an Amazon Associate, and also an affiliate with the Home Depot, Acme Tools, Ohio Power Tool, Tool Nut, Lowe’s, Ebay, and Walmart and places affiliate links to these retailers. If you purchase something through a link on the Tool Craze site, Tool Craze may get a share of the sale.
Years ago Ryobi made a battery powered cooler but it didn’t do what you thought it would. Instead of cooling the internal contents, it would simply blow air from inside and if the inside had ice, then it would blow cold air outwards. However it did nothing to actively cool the internal contents. Fast forward to today and it’s nice to see that Makita has correctly made a battery powered cooler and uses their 18V batteries to keep its internal contents cool. It uses a compressor type cooler to keep things cold with four different cooling modes of 15ºF, 30ºF, 40ºF, and 50ºF. On top of being able to cool, it can also keep things warm with two heat levels of 130°F and 140°F.
Its internal compartment is rated for 20 liters or 21 quarts so it has decent internal space as you can see in the image above. Also on top is the battery compartment which holds two LXT 18V batteries. Makita says that only one battery is required to operate which is nice because you don’t need two to operate and installing two batteries increases the runtime. Runtime is up to 5 hours when set to one of the lower cooling temps and up to 17 hours when set to 40 degrees cooling, both runtime figures when running on a pair of 6ah batteries. That means that you can get around 2.5 hours on one of the lowest cooling settings with a single 6ah battery.
The display and controls are shown above where you can select heat or cooling settings and view temps in F or Celsius. Besides the ability to run on 18V battery power, you can also run the Makita cooler via DC cord for vehicle 12V or 24V or corded AC, so you have cordless battery options and corded options. And to add to its functionality, it’s also supplied with an onboard bottle opener, wheels and pull handle.
It’s expected to launch May 2022 and for a price of around $649 more or less.
- 4 cooling modes: 15ºF, 30ºF, 40ºF, 50ºF
- 2 warming modes: 130ºF, 140ºF
- 20 L (21 qt.) capacity
- L.E.D. display allows you to check temperature and remaining battery charge
- Operates using (1) 18V LXT® battery with the option to insert (1) additional battery for extended run time (batteries not included)
- Up to 5 hours of continuous run time with two 18V LXT® 6.0Ah batteries when set to one of the lower cooling settings.
- Up to 17 hours of continuous run time with two 18V LXT® 6.0Ah batteries when set to 40ºF (batteries not included)
- Built-in USB port for charging portable electronic devices
- Compressor type cooler provides greater cooling performance
- Water-resistant construction (IPX4 rated) for improved operation in harsh job site conditions
- Operates using 18V LXT® batteries, DC cord in vehicle (12V & 24V), or corded AC
- Convenient carrying handles for carrying with two hands
- Large wheels allow the cooler to be rolled over a variety of surfaces
- Built in bottle opener
- Weighs only 32 lbs. with two batteries installed (batteries not included)
- 3-year limited warranty
Tool Craze does not sell this product or any product on the Tool Craze website. Tool Craze does not handle the sale of any item in any way. If you purchase something through a link on the Tool Craze site, Tool Craze may get a share of the sale. Please refer to the About section for more info. Tool Craze cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information/specifications/features of any tool listed in this article. Please do your full research before buying any products.